This community features publications and educational materials created by the WSU Extension, a network of agricultural experts across Washington state. With 39 locations throughout the state, WSU Extension builds the capacity of individual, organization, businesses and communities, empowering them to find solutions for local issues and to improve their quality of life. Extension collaborates with communities to create a culture of life-long learning and is recognized for its accessible, learner-centered, relevant, high-quality, unbiased educational programs.

WSU Extension began in 1913, a year ahead of federal legislation authorizing the present extension system. In that year, Washington state authorized a Bureau of Farm Development headquartered at Washington State College and provided for the appointment and maintenance of agricultural experts across the state. By then, however, George A. Nelson, the first county extension worker, had been on the job for more than two months. Nelson was appointed as agriculturist for Wahkiakum County December 12, 1912. He was absorbed into the new Bureau. Pioneer extension educators established a philosophy that’s still relevant today: “helping farmers to help themselves.”

Please be aware that the information in these publications may be obsolete;
Contact the Washington State University Extension Service directly to confirm the most up-to-date editions or information.

Sub-communities within this community

  • Newsletters

    This collection contains newsletters produced by WSU Extension centers.

Collections in this community

  • Publications

    This collection contains publications by WSU Extension.

Recent Submissions

View more